Thread: Tongue weight
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
We don't have anything yet. We are researching both a new vehicle and a potential TT. My wife would be driving it mostly and doesn't like the bigger SUV's (we have three kids and a pick up is out). We test drove the Expedition and the Sequoia. We are going to look at the new 2011 Explorer when it comes out (it's rated at 5000lbs) because I don't think the Honda Pilot can handle the hitch weight and it doesn't recommend a WDH. The other three row mid size SUV's don't have the room in the 3rd row we are looking for or the storage capacity behind the 3rd row. The TM seems to be a good combination of hard sided TT that is roomy enough for a family of 5 and light enough to be towed by a mid sized SUV comfortably.
You're here for all the right reasons.

My hitch weighed 506# the last time we were on the scales, and the exact scale numbers and ratings are on this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

Hitch receivers are often rated higher with a WDH than without, likely in my mind because the spring action of the bars also shifts some of the load to the forward hitch receiver bolts from the back ones, but it's frustratingly hard sometimes to get any details about why things are rated exactly as they are. I wouldn't sweat a 500# hitch receiver with a WDH and tongue weight that's somewhat higher than 500#. But it's important for you to do what you're comfortable with.

I highly recommend the Highlander and the 4Runner as Trailmanor Tow vehicles. They both have 5000# ratings.

We have happy forum members with Honda Pilots, but I think I might want to know more about why they don't recommend the WDH before going that way. And I certainly wouldn't tow a TrailManor without a WDH unless I was towing with something really heavy.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote