View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
chopslot

Thanks for the patience everyone (i'm learning). The 4runner is gone at the moment. I will check the tag inside the door for the GCWR. I am seeing in the owners manual the following statement "If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 2000 lbs toyota rec. using a weight distributing hitch. If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 2,000 lbs it is necessary to use a sway control device with sufficient capacity. The combination of the gross trailer weight added to the total weight of the vehicle, occupants and vehicle cargo must never exceed a total of the following:
4.0 L v6 engine (9600 lb.).
Exceeding the maximum weight of the trailer, the vehicle, or the vehicle and trailer combination, can cause an accident resulting in serious personal injuries."

As I live in Utah, I will likely not win any land speed records with this, but it does appear that it should suffice...as curb weight 4320 lbs plus trailer weight 3,090 lbs= 7410 lbs. seems that I should subtract 10% 960 lbs from the 9600 lb capacity, leaving me with 1,240 lbs for passengers and cargo, which seems duable. I just hope I am not trying to force a square peg into the proverbial circle to make this work.
Thanks again for your comments and patience as I sort this. I am graterful for your feedback, passion, and wisdom