View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

IMHO....that price is somewhat low but in the ballpark. I would have expected to see it advertised at $15K and sell for around $13.5K. The important thing is that you are happy with the price....not others.

Sway control is not necessarily needed on the TM (depending on the TV) because the wheels are set back far enough and they tend to have adequate tongue weight. However, you won't know until you actually tow the trailer at highway speeds. You will know within the first 100 miles if you need one. If you find that the trailer starts swaying at 65...... slow to 55, then install a sway control at your earliest convenience. They aren't real expensive and fairly easy to install (especially on a WDH). I have one but I've never used it.

The 4Runner has a fairly short (110") wheel base which may be an issue (with swaying) but you won't know until you try it.

I think that you may find a need for a WDH. The short wheel base and trailer to TV weight ratio may be an issue with front wheel braking and control on the 4Runner.

One other tip....pack the trailer for camping and get it weighed so that you know exactly what you are dealing with. My loaded 2720 weighs 4100#. I'm thinking a 3124 must weigh somewhat more. Not only in the trailer itself but the mere fact that you have so much more room, I would think that one would tend to carry more "Stuff".

Your comment, "My load capacity per Toyota is 5,0000 lbs" may be a little inaccurate. I think that you may have meant that your Tow Capacity is #5000. That may mean that the 4Runner can tow a maximum of 5,000# with an empty tow vehicle (no passengers, cargo and little fuel).

The number that you really need to have is your GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight Rating). This will tell you the total weight that the 4Runner is able to handle including loaded trailer, passengers, cargo and fuel. I seem to remember that the 4Runner has some pretty decent numbers but you should really find the actual #s for your car.