View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
kpierce

Default RV market - Long post.

Times are tough. That being said, I think that there are deals both was to be made. The first part of this month a friend of mine sent me an email of a craigslist listing of a 2006 3124KS TM listed for $13995. This unit was at a dealer in the Dallas area that has three other locations but does not sell TM. This model lists for $30000+ with options (based on prices seen at the Dallas RV show in the spring). This was on a Thursday. I called on Friday and the unit was still for sale and I knew it had AC, one Cabinet, and awning. I made plans for a Saturday am viewing. The unit was clean and also had the Microwave counter unit, 2nd battery, AM/FM/CD radio, TV Antenna w/Amplifier, Rear Bike Receiver, two TV Shelves and a full sewer hose kit. Most items not listed in add. The sales guy said that the unit was taken in trade and I saw that the the PO tried to sell for $19995. The sales guy said that they were wholesaleing it but that nothing was wrong with the unit. I wanted to put the unit down as it was setup and they did not want to do that. There was no water or power to unit and it was too close to another to even try the awning. Well I had a 1999 Coleman Westlake in great shape so I figured I could trade it in and I knew that the 99 popup would bring between $3850 and $4825 per Nada. The dealer offered $1500. I said I would sell it my self which I did the next day for $4000 and would buy for there best price which was $13995 plus a 3500W no name Generator and $40 parts department credit. I found out that they had tried $18995 but lowered it when the owner said move it. OK long story now the meat of it.

Why I got a good price
1) Dealer does not Sell TM
2) Sales guys did not know jack about TM.
3) Owner did not want something that he thought his sales guys could not sell.
4) It was over 100 degs and the unit did not even have power to test the A/C

Why I sold my unit at a good price
1) I knew the Popup inside and out
2) I had the A/C running with cool drinks in the fridge (same 100+ days)
3) I knew it would sell as it was clean and everything worked.

For the record the parts and service guy knew a fair amount about TMs and tons about RVs...He replaced the AM/FM/CD with new unit, fixed a couple of very minor item in the walk though and he had everything working before I got there.

TMs are not sold everywhere so if you have time put the word out and keep watch at those dealers and craigslist. An anything that you are not shown about in a showing or walkthough you can get answered here.

Thanks,

Sorry for the length.