View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Thumbs down No Way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbuzz
I am thinking about buying a trailmanor and was wondering if anyone has mounted a Motorcycle Carrier to the rear hitch they have on some models.
I am not talking about a second trailer, but a hitch carrier that holds the bike sideways on a rail kinda of like the bicycle type. I understand that I might have to add weight to the front to even things out. Has anyone ever extended the front hitch for a extra platform carrier. I have seen this done on other tent style popups. I appreciate any information you can give me. Also, let me know if anyone has a trailmanor for sale in southern california. I am intersted in the shorter models. Thanks for your Help
Buzz
TrailManors are very precisely engineered to be highly sway resistant as long as the front/rear weight balance (and location of that weight) is maintained.

Members of this group who have even put a couple of 25 lb bicycles on a carrier behind the trailer bumper have noticed a definite increase in their trailer's propensity to sway...a multi hundred pound motorcycle back there would be a guaranteed disaster, if you could even beef up the frame to handle that amount of weight.

Adding substantial amounts of weight to the front via an extended tongue (as some manufacturers do to produce a toy hauler type popup) would be equally dangerous (the location of the axles relative to total length is very critical)...and would produce extremely high tongue weights.

I'm empathetic to your desire...I periodically bring a Honda XL250 with me on camping trips. But the cycle travels in the bed of my truck where the weight/mass is totally handled by the truck's suspension.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote