View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Default What my mechanic says abotu down shifting

Had my TV in the shop for an oil change. Been using the same shop and mechanic since 1986. I asked him about downshifting and valve problems.

He said years ago that valve problems would not have been uncommon, but not with newer (since around 1990) vehicles. The trans is more of an issue.

His recommendation is to get out of overdrive, unless you have the tow/haul switch like I have. Control speed on long downhill grades by braking lightly and infrequently useing the trailer brakes. They are the cheapest to replace. Next cheapest is the TV brakes. After that is the trans.

So, what I think I will do is just use the brakes. I'm too lazy to reach over to tap the trailer brakes. I have 3/4-ton brakes on my 1500HD and don't expect much of a problem with heat buildup.

Now, if it was a really long really steep grade I might shift down. Priest grade (the old original) out of Yosemite comes to mind, but only a fool would go straight down that hill towing a trailer instead of taking the newer bypass.