View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Warning , my be long also

pop , loved the way you done this,
wheelbase
yes longer does work much better less moveing around,
useing the dodge (reg cab, short wheelbase) sometime looks like an amateur towing down the road with all the movement,
useing the avalanche with the long wheelbase , very little movement.

Ride hight
lower is better for road , height is needed when off the pavement.
Dodge is 4wd with 20 inch wheels, no trouble with clearance, takes a long drop hitch thou, is nice to see over traffic in front of you. But i have learned , do not go diveing into a exit ramp corner or mountain road because of height
avalanche is a 4wd 2500 16 inch wheels, wider track and much lower to ground,almost to low, sometimes hits the hitch on ground, seems to sit as low as a 2wd truck. But handles like a dream towing or not, but like pop says, no fun in a small parking lot,

tire width
a good patch is a must in a truck, but from past lesson ,you can go to far, had a short wheelbase silverado put 10 1/2 reverse wheels on it with firestone firehawks street tread , cornered like a sport car,but it you got caught in heavy rain, was scary because would almost float due to width and tread

tranny cooler
is a very nice item to have , both tv have them,
avalanche has tranny temp. Gauge also, have only noticed about 20-30 temp increase on long mountain pulls

oil cooler
dodge has 2 qt oil cooler , seems to help in oil life and moter temp, and piece of mind on thise long mountain pulls

4 wd vs 2wd
both of mine are 4 wd but i have owened 4wd drive trucks since is was 17 yrs old, we have what the dw calls the work truck, 99 2wd 2500 long wheel base dodge , is what i call a great pavement truck, i got stuck in a thick gravel lot in a storage unit lot, lol yes i used my subaru to pull it out, no kidding, still would not tow a tm with one thou,

sight line
avalanche is very nice to look out of forward and to the side, but the way the back window is made, i find to small ,hard to see out of in mirror,
dodge is good , but i find the a pillers are to wide ,have lost a person walking in parking lots behind them, nice wide and tall back window ,

this post is just my opionion,and is just experiences from towing with my tv,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote