Thread: Sway bars
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I towed with my 2002 Chevy crew cab 1500HD for several years. I did not need a WD hitch. I was advised by the factory that I would not need one.

Then I loaded 2 dirt motorcycle (500 pounds), 20 gallons of gas for them (150 pounds, 42 extra gallons of water for boon-docking (300 pounds), tools for fixing broken motorcycles (50.pounds).

Plus all of the other stuff that I had already been taking along.

The rear of the truck sagged enough that I could not remove the front wheel of the TM.

Instead of adding a WD hitch I bought a GMC crew cab 2500HD truck. That solved the problem. Same non-economical fuel consumption as the smaller truck.

I would expect you to do well without a WD hitch, unless you take as much stuff as I do.

BTW, before I added the motorcycles etc. I measured how much the rear bumper of the truck sagged when connecting the TM. It was 5/8 inch. I did not measure the rise at the front bumper.

Perhaps someone else has some information on how much sag is OK to tow without WD bars.

Somewhere around here are some calculations. I can not recall the details but I remember the last line. It as a bit humorous:

Final sag.