View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Magdefrau

We were driving this Fall or rather canoeing. What you need to see in your mind's eye is a thunder shower, a hundred year down pour. If it was summer I could call it a frog strangler. Well, pulling the TM on the highway had gone fine until this mid-morning event. I will remember this, as should a rather smart reader, Good plan during a hard rain would be to pull over. Stopping your Minivan and TM as well as pulling off from a stop is in the red caution zone. I had before this time only driven in dry 80 degree conditions, my confidence in our rig was high. Good thing the costs of mistakes makes me vveerryy careful not to go too fast. First, the braking box really stops your rig, set the timing so that the TM slightly drags the van, keeping the wagon straight. The anti-sway bar, that I was told I didn't need, adds to keeping things in line. Once I'm on the road I tighten it rather stiff. Secondly, I need to learn more about the WDH. Because, I had the adjustment so that the center of gravity was not forward enough, as I gas the van it found it hard to get traction, front wheel drive. Two inches of water on the highway helps you know this. Gosh, it would be great to have a large TV, but it's nice to operate a fuel eco vehicle the other three hundred days of the year. Maybe the charm is having a wife next to you say, "Sweetheart I'm hungry, that looks like a good place, and now is the time to stop and eat lunch". After the sun appeared the rest of the trip was easy. Two hours late getting home, but no scratches, no claims and another family safe high adventure recorded. Hey, what about Snow and Ice , Ouuuu..... I bet it would make a good story.