View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default How to choose a hitch receiver

I could not find an answer to my question.

My 1500HD is fine for towing the TM. I want to tow a utility trailer behind my 1997 dodge Dakota 2wd club cab v6 manual transmission.

Hitch receivers are available with capacities up to 5000 pounds and 500 pound tongue weight. A utility trailer for 2 ATVs and 2 motorcycles (dirt bikes) will be lighter than that. I was thinking that in a pinch if the 1500HD were disable I could potentially tow the TM 2720 with the Dakota, at least to get it home or ff the freeway. I know that my TM weighs 3380 on the axle, so that would make the total weight a little over 4000 and a tongue weight of about 450 to 500 I think.

Hitch receivers are available from Putnam, Hidden Hitch, Reese, Drawtite, and Curt, just to name a few. Prices range from $121 to $170. I searched websites for hitchesonline, etrailer, autoanything and hitchshopusa.

I do not know how to choose. I could go cheap, I could pick one at random or let DW pick out a cute one. There has to be a better way.

I didn't have this issue when I bought the TM because my truck had the towing package.