Thread: Gas Struts
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #25
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default New bars would be great - for almost $2000 expense (including the trip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Probably better to take it to a dealer and have them adjust the bars. If the bars are worn out, get new ones.
Bill and I have our bars at maximum adjustment already.

Bar replacement is a non-trivial job, requiring the shell to be supported on side platforms which my HOA will not allow me to build in the street-visible driveway. My problem is limited to the front-most pair on the front shell, so the rear support arms of the front shell could probably remain attached. But the platforms probably need to prevent both front-to-back AND side-to-side motion, because the hinged clamping pins are to weak to prevent disasters in those directions.

My nearest dealer is about 400 miles away, and that dealer might not have much experience with this job. (There's another one at slightly longer distance with more experience, but it's 12-14 hours eachway to reach either of those dealers) The job might not get done in a single day, adding overnight hotel expenses. The cost of bars to the dealers is high (truck freight) unless coordinated with a new TM delivery.

Only after that (maybe $700 for travel and the overnights in expensive towns, and maybe $450 of the pair of shipped torsion bars, can I begin to plan for hourly shop costs. Maybe 5 hours at $180?

I'm at or above $2000 for the long trip and "proper" repair costs.
- - -
Parts for the struts would be $50 for the "counter support brackets", less than 20$ for the strut mounts, $30 for the "first guess" 120-lb struts, and about $40 for a pair of those 3" x 2" x 12" angle brackets. Adding another $50 for some "fresh" 5200 sealant, some "fresh" paint and primer, and and a whole bunch of bolts and nuts and washers, I'm still under $200 in parts and supplies. I can drill a bunch of holes and and assemble the parts for only a few beers.

If I ever need to use stronger struts in the future (maybe supporting new and heavier solar panels) the struts are replaced for only about 30$ per pair.