View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
luvmymanor1
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
With tires made in 2004, I would have been willing to bet money that you would have at least 1-2 blowouts over a few thousand miles, especially being that you are traveling in the summer (higher temps). As my signature implies, I had 2 Kumhos blowout at ~3.5 years of age within 100 miles of each other, on both sides. It was on this trip cross-country that I upgraded to 15" wheels. I've also had a 6-year old Marathon blow.

You didn't say what you replaced the tires with, but assuming they are 14" 205 Marathons, and they are less than 1.5-2 years old, you will probably be fine for the rest of your trip. Check the date code in the sidewall of the tire (a 4-digit number).

Unfortunately, loaded TM's really push the envelope on the weight capacity of 14" tires. So once you add other deleterious factors like high heat and tire age, the chance that you have a blowout goes up substantially. That's why several of us have upgraded to 15" wheels (and tires), as they have a higher weight rating, and thus a wider safety margin.

When you pull off the road after riding at speed for an hour or two, touch the hubs. If you can't keep your hand across them for more than a few seconds, you are definitely running on the hot side of normal. That could mean faulty wheel bearings, inadequate grease/lubrication on the bearings, an overweight trailer, and under-inflated tires, among other things.
well I hear what you are saying and I agree to an extent. however, if the tires are rated for 1850 and the axle is rated at 3500 than putting on tires rated at 2500 each could mask a potentially bigger and more hazerdouse problem. the last blow out did cause some damage to the wheel well. nothing that I can't fix but its getting rediculouse. I bought this thing to enjoy the outdoors and yeah I like working on it to an extent but every day no, every trip... no during the trip... absolutly not. Its not a perfect world but there is a pattern here and I'm not only refering to the current tire issue. its one thing after another. just ranting... i'll feel better in the morning lol.

Quote:
You say you weighed your TM but didn't say what the weight is. What is it? (both the axle and tongue weight)
off the top of my head 7580 total TV and TM but dont remember what the independent weights were but I assure you well within limits on both. I tried to get toungue weight done but could not for the life of me find a place willing to do it in my area.

Quote:
Did inspect and repack your wheel bearings before your trip?
I did it myself yes andyes repacked greese and switched out new dexter break. greese as per manufacture specs...

Quote:
What exact tires do you have on there now? What pressure are you running (checked with the tires cold)?
goodyear marathons 14" cold pressure at 50 psi

Quote:
What was the ambient (outside) temp during your blowouts?
75-86 deg

Quote:
My advice: don't turn back home -- you will still have to deal with this problem, and it will ruin your vacation in the process. I was in your shoes last summer.
its ruining my vacation now. the stress alone is enough. so anyway I plan on going to the finishline as long as I don't blow another tire now that I'm riding on new rubber. if that happens I'll be making a u-turn.

See this thread for more details: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10265

Dave [/QUOTE]
I am a cheating freeloader. I have signed up for a Free Trial Membership 8 times under different names. I have received much thoughtful help from the forum members, but I am not grateful. I will not pay my fair share of the board expenses. I think you should pay it for me. You guys are suckers.
luvmymanor1 is offline   Reply With Quote