View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymanor1 View Post
yeah its something I have considered but since I had to purchase new 14" on the trip I doubt very very highly that I will be upgrading anytime soon.
Don't let that dissuade you. When my first Kumho blew, I also bought a 14" tire. After 100 miles, the other Kumho blew.(EDIT: I stand corrected - it was a few hundred miles and 2 days later) I pulled into a tire shop on a Saturday, and they bought back (at full price) the 14" tire I had just bought from a different place 100 miles prior the day before. He also gave me a competitive price on the new tires, so it wasn't a trade-in trick. Even if you have decent mileage on the new 14"er, you can probably get a shop to buy it back for a good portion of what you bought it for. And frankly, if it only costs you $100 to buy yourself out of another blowout, would you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmymanor1 View Post
Honestly, i looked closely at the spect of the 15" tires and although they are rated at 2500 lbs why should I uses these when I'm not intending to overload the TM. the 14"ers are rated for 1850 lbs. which are within the rating for the axles weight. people put the 15" tires and think that everything is great and now I don't have to worry about weight since my tires can support more which in thelong run is even more dangerouse.
The problem here is the tires are failing. And in my case, they were 3.5-year old Kumhos rated for ~2,200 lbs each. Just because I put 15" tires on does not mean I load my TM with rocks. In fact, I don't carry anything more than what I used to pre-blowouts. There are more reasons, but for one, the axle is only rated for 3500 lbs, so you can't go crazy with weight just because your tires can support it. The 15"ers simply give you a wider safety margin.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote