View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #55
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default theory vs practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Folks, in reading my Owner's Manual, I picked up some more confirmation of my weight/traction theory on TM's.

It says: "If towing a heavier trailer, trailer wheel lockup may not be attainable even with the GAIN setting on 10". I think that is consistent with what I wrote above.

Tom
Earlier in this thread I posted several times regarding my theory that the individual wheel traction is double relative to total weight of trailer if you only have one axle, as on a TM.

I mentioned several things that seemed to support my theory. However, last month reality intruded and called my theory into question.

I was driving through Nacogdoches, TX at 25mph or so. As I looked at the old buildings I failed to see that the light ahead had changed to red. Just before entering the intersection I realized the light was red and piled on the brakes. I mean PILED on the brakes. The ABS system activated and the TM brakes locked up immediately. I stopped right at the edge of the intersection and no harm was done other than to my pride.

BTW, I got the TM 2330 trailer weighed at a CAT scale. It had about 10 gallons of water in the tank plus the water heater, plus clothes and food. The trailer axle weighed in at 3440 pounds. I did not unhook to get the tongue weight, but 15% of 3440 is 516. That would give me a total weight of 3956 while on a trip. There could be more tongue weight, but I suspect that my total is pretty close.

Incidentally, we carry most of the heavy stuff in the truck. That includes tools, jacks, wooden blocks, tank tote, some clothes, ice chest, odds and ends.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote