View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... most overhead doors actually can be pushed up beyond where they normally rest when open. In the past I have used a 2x4 as a prop to give a little more clearance when moving a tall vehicle into a garage. - Camp2Canoe
Camp2Canoe -

For what it is worth, most every garage door opener has an "open height" adjuster. This tells the opener when the door is fully up. By tweaking this adjustment, you can cause the door to open farther before it stops.

On some openers, the adjustment is a small doohicky with a pair of wires coming out of it, clamped on the rail near the opener body. Loosen the clamp and move the doohicky a couple inches toward the opener body, and the door will open a couple inches more before it stops. Repeat as necessary. A photo of this kind of adjustment (on my Genie opener) is attached below.

On others, the adjustment is a simple knob or screwdriver-adjust tweak on the opener body. It will be labelled something like "Open height" or "Open adjust" or "Open travel". A photo of this kind of adjustment (on my LiftMaster opener) is attached below.

On either kind of opener, there may also be a knob that says something about "Force" - don't tweak this one.

You should be able to change the setting enough that the door opens to a position above the top of the door frame or "header", so the TM can't hit the door. Making this tweak frees you forever from the need to disconnect the door from the opener and prop it up with a 2x4.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genie.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liftmaster.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	1820  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote