View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Water leaking into the interior of any wall structure, including the door, is a serious issue and not to be ignored. You do not see any sign of a continued leak, so that is good. On a nice day, you might consider spraying a hose or sprinkler on the entire window for a while, then drying the area, and then looking for leakage.

Regarding the window, I can't quite see the "small opening at the edge of the bottom window" in the photo, but markings on the window suggest that is a Hehr window that was recently replaced. The fact that it is a Hehr window is good - they make a good but expensive product, used throughout the RV industry (TMs no longer use them, by the way). If it leaks, I see two probable causes. First, the narrow drain slots at the bottom of the window may be clogged. Any water that runs down the glass and gets into the frame is supposed to drain out there. Try running a pipe cleaner or something similar into each slot, and see if you can dislodge any crud.

Second, since it appears that the window was recently installed by someone other than the factory, it may have been installed wrong, with the outside leak seal misplaced or omitted. In this case, the water might not have come from the "small opening at the bottom" that you mention, but is getting behind the frame itself, likely near the top. You can check the leak seal relatively easily by disassembling the window.

Several years ago, I had to remove a Hehr window, and it was pretty easy. The window is actually composed of two major assemblies - the inside frame and the outside frame. As the trailer is built, each frame is inserted into the corresponding side of the opening. A dozen or so long screws are inserted into holes in the inside piece, where they bridge the gap and screw into corresponding holes in the outside piece. This clamps the two pieces together, and clamps each one firmly against the wall. Between each piece and its wall, there is a weather seal. If the seal is omitted or improperly applied, water will leak between the frame and the wall, and into the frame. If you remove those screws, the frame pieces will come apart (don't drop them!) and you can inspect the installation. As I recall, you will need some sealant when you reassemble. It would be a good idea to go to the Hehr website and find the assembly instructions, so that you know exactly what to expect.

And yes, the big loose paint patch looks like water intrusion to me. To confirm (or deny), you might open the door all the way, remove 3 or 4 screws from the hinge near the flake, and confirm that there is water in the area.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote