Thread: Opinions please
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First, trailer experience really isn't necessary, since most trailers don't fold. However, when the trailer is unhitched, you MUST know how to hitch it up to the tow vehicle. Make sure you understand how to do it before you leave after picking it up. BTW, it is OK to leave the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle overnight. That means you won't have to hitch up in the morning.

----------------------------

As you are opening and closing the camper, you are likely to find a few things that just don't seem to want to go where or how you think they should go. That is the time to remember the Prime Directive of Trailmanors.

DON'T FORCE ANYTHING !

Stop, take a deep breath, look around, talk, review. Once you have done all this, back up a step and start again.

In my experiences, raising the shells is pretty straightforward. It is during closing that these "Why won't this go?" situations arise. A good example, one we have all been through, is trying to lower the rear shell when the steps are still out. The shell will go down part way and then clunk to a stop. "Why won't this go?" If you try to slam it down, it will hurt something, but during a quick walk around, you will say "Ah! I see! The steps needed to be folded in." Another example is trying to lower the shells when there is something on the countertop. Same thing - stop, pull the shell back up, walk around, stick your head inside, and "Ah. I see."

Leave yourself plenty of time, especially the first few mornings you do it. You don't want to be under any schedule pressure. Let us know how it goes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote