View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
benjburton

I finally got around to replacing my a/c gasket and thought I'd share the outcome. After inspecting, I do not think the gasket was the issue. At first I thought it was plastic that had bent at the top of the shroud, but I don't think this is the issue either. It turns out that the top of the camper is not level with the a/c shroud. I believe that my issue is due to the the inability to tightly clamp the front of the a/c down, due to the shroud not being able to properly hold its place up against the gasket as it's tightened. This is hard to explain, so hopefully the pictures I have attached will help illustrate what I believe is the issue. My fix was to place wood shims around the gap area to help support the a/c shroud. This way as I tighten the a/c down, it will give it a more solid support for it to compress against.

Even though I don't think the gasket was the issue, I went ahead with the replacement since I had the a/c off and the new gasket in hand. Part of me wishes I hadn't! What a pain it was to get the old one off! It took a lot of patience to remove. Also, the new one appears to be of lower quality. The foam is less dense. In any case, it was a new gasket, and I went ahead with the replacement as I didn't want to second guess if that was the issue if it continued to leak and I had not replaced this.

So did this work? I hope so! I did not do a water test. My test will be next time I'm camping and I have the a/c running for a long period or it rains.

As an aside, the biggest pain besides removing the old gasket was the mess I had to clean up afterwards. Before I could get the a/c back on, a downpour started. I covered the hole with a tarp, but the downpour continued for a few hours, and it turned out my tarp was more than a little porous, which I found out towards the end of the storm. Nothing is ever easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC shroud bent2.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	819.6 KB
ID:	22601   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Gap1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	22602   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Old gasket1.JPG
Views:	117