View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
smookie

Default Re:Towel rack solution found

We really believe our ultrasonic noise machine helps keep the mice away because they trashed the inside of my 1988 TM and shredded the curtains, left their droppings everywhere and urinated on the carpet where their nest was. It was disgusting! I made all new curtains that spring.

The machine is something I paid $70 for from Fingerhut a few years ago. It can make 6 different sounds and they are intended to affect various animals. There are high pitches for mice, birds, etc. and low pitches for deer and larger animals. It is an obnoxious sound in the lower ranges. Maybe that is why it works. When the TM is closed, we don't notice the noise and neither do the neighbors.

Ever since we kept the ultrasonic machine inside the TM over the winter, we've been fine. As a precaution, we remove all the curtains and keep them inside the clothes closet, which totally seals up when shut.

One last thing: be sure to keep your TM away from bird feeders in the winter, which attract mice as well as birds. Ours was near the feeders, which now I realize was a BIG mistake.