View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Duke of Earle

REDHAWK and RICKST29:

Thanks for the super-fast response. Here’s a link I should have included for the Maxxis M8008 ST tires. The size I bought is ST225/75R15:

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

So yes, I’m familiar with the tire loading and pressure relationship, and with the reasons for adding a bit of pressure if speeds may exceed 65 mph.

My errors seem to have been these:

1. Yes, I believed the TM recommendation to keep the Marathons at 65 PSI cold and I did so religiously regardless of actual weight.
2. Given number 1 above, I never really cared about the actual towing weight of the trailer because I knew we never “loaded it up” and we never pull it on the highway with anything in the liquid tanks.
3. I DID search through just enough posts about tires to see repeatedly that UNDER inflation was the ultimate sin, but not enough posts to find yours RickST29, or others concerning OVER inflation.
4. Then, when I had my blowouts, I figured I needed “better” tires, since many posts complained about the Marathons.

Okay. That said, it seems the BEST thing I did was to load up my TM to the way we actually tow it (almost always the same, give or take maybe 100 pounds) and take it to a local public scale. Check your local phone book or Google to find one. I used the one at our local Allied Van Lines location. For a total cost of a whopping SIX DOLLARS(!!), no tax, I was able to weigh just the TM axle but still attached to my tow vehicle and WDH, and then each wheel of the TM axle independently! What a bargain. If I’d only known, I’d have done it years ago.

So, thanks to your help and better information I will pressure up my new Maxxis M8008s to 50 PSI cold (safety factor included), avoid some of the wear and tear on stuff we carry in the TM due to less shaking and pounding, and hopefully enjoy decent tire life for a while.

(I hope so, ‘cause those 3 Maxxis tires set me back a total of $485!)

I’m also covering up those pricey tires with RV wheel covers when not in use, and using my stabilizers to take much of the weight off the tires while it’s parked in my driveway (other recommendations I garnered from this TM Owners Forum site).

We’ll see. But thanks again for the help.

John