View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
P and B

We got rid of our curtains this year. They faded-turning an odd pink color. My wife found bug nests behind in the folds and that was the end of that! The valences faded too. What we did was purchase some inexpensive matchstick type shades and cut them to fit the window span. We took all the the hardware off the window, filled and then painted the million holes from all the screws they put in. We used keyhole hangers which fit very flat on the wall above the window and then just use a mated screw on the shade. We store the shades in a bag and it only takes a couple minutes to take them down.

A couple of lessons learned:
1. There are a lot of holes that have to be filled so you need pretty good matching paint. We found a good match in a small quantity sampler container from ace hardware. It's a glossy latex. We used an almond colored latex caulk to fill the holes and tried to flatten the metal out the best we could.
2. the shades we bought let more light in than the curtains did so we'll probably end up lining the ones in the sleeping area.
3. The really long windows on the side are impossible to find shades that will cover the molding on the window completely. I think 48" was the longest width we found and it leaves about 3/8" of the white molding visible. You don't notice it unless your looking right at it.

Would I do it again? Yep. I think the removeable shade idea is much better for this kind of trailer.

Phil