View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
ib4classics

Gerry, my wife and I are seniors too. We just purchased a 2006, 3023 in mint condition.
I tow with a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner with the V8.
I towed the trailer home from South Carolina (134 miles) to Johnson City TN. over a long 6% grade with just the 2" ball and hitch. My weight distributing hitch is still set up for my old trailer, a 2000 Skyline 190 LT 3500 lbs. dry weight it's a regular type trailer about 20' long.
I would never tow my old trailer without a WDH, and I hated towing the 3023 without a WDH.
The rear of my 4 runner squated, the front of the TM dipped, and I had to use a hydraulic floor jack when I got home to get the hitch high enough to uncouple the trailer.
The trailer was empty and dry and only my wife and I were in the car.
The WDH makes a huge difference, and you are going to have the wind resistance I had with my old trailer.
We have towed something most of our 40 years of marriage and I can tell you, with the right equipment, some practice, and a willing partner RVing can be wonderful.
My 4 Runner has a 7000 lb. tow rating, with all the towing I have done I will not exceed
5000 lbs. or so, leaving a healthy margin.
As an example, in climbing the long 6% grade, I maintained 55-60, the trans dropped to
3rd (5 speed) and the rpms were near 4000. That was with the V8.
The WDH will keep you safer, give you a better ride, and be less strain on you 4 Runner.
Best of luck with your choice, Trailmanor is a great product and company and we hope to see you at a campsite soon.