View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #3
k_and_p_camping

Default Re:Dutch Oven Layered Enchiladas

I've got both aluminum (10 and 12 inch) and cast iron (14 inch) dutch ovens, with the aluminum being the ones I take on the road the most. I have some minor arthritis in my hands, and the cast iron one is heavy (though I can cook for 15 or more people in it)!

As to use, I don't use a hole. I generally put it in the fire pit (if there is one) or in a large round metal pan (the last one I bought was advertised as a chicken feeder). I use charcoal, not coals, due to the more even nature of the heat. The total number of charcoal briquettes needed for a 350 degree heat is about double the size of the oven (24 briquettes for a 12 inch oven). Put about 1/3 under the oven and the rest on the lid.

We use the DO for lots of our cooking, both when camping and at home. My husband's DO Baked Beans are legendary at family reunions and picnics! The Dutch Ovens really do work like a regular oven, and I make biscuits, quick breads, casseroles, etc in them. It keeps the trailer from getting hot, and it is just more fun to cook outside.

Try one; you'll probably like it. Just make sure the cast iron is appropriately seasoned.

Pam S