View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
About the axle jacking: I had a "experienced" trailer shop try to jack my TM up via the axle (before I asked him to use the frame), so I imagine the Goodyear guy was probably unfamiliar with a Dexter axle and that it shouldn't be used as a lifting point.

Chap
I agree with Chap (as most always ). This guy most likely didn't know about the Dexter axle. Dexter recommends that you always use the frame to jack the trailer up. I went back and found a previous discussion on this.

Here is the link and what Dexter recommends:

http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s

MISCELLANEOUS - Is it okay to jack up my trailer?
Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.

Keep me informed on how your tire warranty goes. I have a feeling that since the tire was run low/flat (due to the faulty valve stem), you may run into some resistance on getting it adjusted. It sounds like to me that the inside of the tire had broke down due to it being ran underinflated/flat. When the service guy replaced only the stem and inflated it, it blew out due to this. I am assuming that he did not demount the tire off the rim ( but just broke one side loose from the bead) before he replaced the stem and reinflated the tire. If he didn't dismount the tire and visually inspect the inside before reinflating it, that is actually a violation of proper tire safety procedures on his part. That is the part of the same reason on why you should never have a tire "plugged" from the outside. Unless you dismount the tire and visually inspect it, you cannot see if the tire is tore up internally, and too dangerous to repair/keep in service.

I may be wrong on this, but the fact that he charged only you $25, it kinda sounds like it was an "off the book" deal. It sounds to me like he was in the company truck, and saw you on the side of the road. He used the companies equipment/truck to fix you up, but kept the whole deal off of the companies books (ie pocketed the money for himself). I don't know of any true tire service trucks, at least in my area, that will do anything less than $50-75 for the call then add the price of the actual service they perform.

The reason I am saying all of this, is I just don't know how much stock I would put into anything this service guy told you.

OK, enough ranting about my profession. I'll get off the soapbox now.