View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigCA61 View Post
Do you think rodents know the scent of dogs and will stay away?
No. We always had dogs, and the mice just stayed away long enough for the dog to leave or go to sleep. It's possible that once they've found found a way in, they're forever attracted to the pathways of prior mouse tenants. We've never left any food in the trailer.

I don't know about rats. The mice we had in West Virginia were the high performance white footed kind (5" or so and cute: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed..._leucopus.html).

The boa constrictor idea was a great one, but I think Ms. Adventure might prefer the mice. We also have the additional problem here that snakes close up shop for the winter, but mice don't.

The mice I've seen around here are the little field mice who will readily colonize TrailManors and other sheltered locations. In a 5 week July/August period this year, they finished off what was left of the 3 little blocks of poison I had put out last Fall, then built 3 nests from the paper towels and toilet paper, and chewed a small hole in the couch (which fortunately I was able to repair). They had been almost everywhere in the trailer, even in the power cord compartment, and chewed a few small holes in the ADCO cover as if they needed port holes. I now keep an expanded mouse poison menu in substantial supply in assorted TM locations where the dog can't get to them, in case the mice decide to invite their friends over for another mouse party.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote