View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Mice...

Mice are a huge gross-out problem for Ms. Adventure, and I really don't see a solution other than ample supplies of mouse poison. Traps would work great, of course, but I'm not wild about dead mice in traps all over the trailer, either.

Years ago, we had a vacation home in West Virginia, and Mr. Adventure used to buy poisoned mouse treats by the pound at Southern States. The problem was that those little stinkers would haul it off and pile it up over acres of West Virginia, which in turn became a danger to all the other little critters for quite a ways around.

You can make it more challenging for mice to enter, but I'm not sure it's ever possible to entirely prevent them from coming in. Mr. Adventure's solution these days is to stock large quantities of the mouse poison made of waxy blocks in the TM: The bumper compartments, under the sink, behind the drawers, and most of the other places you found mouse turds in your last adventure. The blocks are too big for them to carry off, but the kinds with the "bait packs" and the green colored dog food sized chunks are too portable in Mr. Adventure's opinion. In this way, the offenders are punished, but the innocent chipmunks 1000 feet away aren't endangered. By "large quantities" I mean going to the Ace hardware store and buying one each of their 3 brands of mouse blocks, and then your own local mice will get to choose their favorite menu item in your TM. By "ample quantities", I mean watching the kind they're eating first, and then replacing that as they finish it or it starts to look gross (this same strategy works at home in the attic, crawlspace, and garage).

Of specific interest to TrailManor owners, our local Virginia varmits love to chew on the plug of the shore power cord. While one possible solution is to leave the TM plugged in, in hopes of the power company zapping someone other than the rate paying customer, Mr. Adventure instead recommends electrical tape over the site of their last attack and maintaining lots of mouse poison in this area, too.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote