View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default How did you configure your Jeep Cherokee to tow your TM?

Howdy folks -

I just purchased a 2000 2720SL, and have a Jeep Cherokee (with a 4.0L) that I am hoping to tow it with. Given the various discussions on this board about towing this vehicle, I wanted to pick the brains of those who have forged the trail before me! How did you set yours up?

1) Which WDH? 750/7500? Any specific brand? Trunnion or round?

2) Which mirrors? The McKesh seem to be favored here, but do they work well on your Cherokee?

3) The Prodigy or Odyssey brake controller? The Odyssey has more mounting options, and given the tight space in the foot well, that might be better. Where on earth did you find space to mount it?

4) I haven't found a wiring harness to plug into the Cherokee, have you? I'm guessing I am going to have to wire it myself.

5) Did you install any upgrades on your Cherokee to make it more tow worthy? Beefier battery? Higher amperage alternator? Lower gear axle? Any suspension modifications (like spring inserts)? Bigger radiator? I already have an OEM auxillary tranny cooler, but what about an auxillary engine oil cooler?

I'm in Southern California, but will be making a cross country drive to the northeast this summer, and am willing to avoid the Rockies if necessary.

Thanks for your input!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote