View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Larry_Loo

Steve, the 1" square aluminum tube (that makes up the lower edge of your front shell's wall) has loosened and has been pulled down. If you remove the screws that attach the trim to the tube and take off the trim, you will see that the bottom of the square tube is below the lower edge of the exterior aluminum panel of the wall. When it was new the lower edge of the tube was aligned with the lower edge of the panel - i.e., you could not see any part of the side of the 1" square tube. The TM factory applied adhesive between the sides of the tubes and the inner surfaces of the panels (exterior and interior) and drove a few screws into the tube from the inside of the wall. These screws attach the plastic or wood strips inside the bag seals in place. They are long enough to penetrate into the tubes, however, and therefore do help to hold the tubes in place. It is my opinion that the adhesive and screws on the inside provide insufficent holding power at the attachment points of the stirrups. Our trailers bounce up and down as we travel the highways. As they bounce, the shells also attempt to move up and down. The shells' motion is restricted mainly by the holdown latches and, therefore, a great deal of stress is applied to the latches. The stirrups are the weakest parts of the latches. Since their attachment screws are driven into tubes with wall thicknesses of about 0.035", the screws frequently pull out. If the screws hold, sometimes the tubes will be pulled down.

This was what occurred in my 1999 3124KS. In an earlier thread I described the repair method that I used for my upper shell: installing a thick wall aluminum tube in place of the stock, thin wall tube. The new tube is held by Cherry Q pop rivets driven into it from both the inner and outer panels. This thread can be found at:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=537