View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #52
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Pity Patty Down The Road?

Quote:
Some people don't have the luxury to be able to pitty patty down the the road at 65 mph ...they need to get there and fast! They just don't have the time and need to maximize there efforts. Like me for instance. We are lucky if we can get 10-11 days off in a row each year due to job constraints, so we need to get there. Especially if it's any distance from home. Even living almost in the middle of the US, it's a stretch to try and go to either coast and have any time to see and do things. That's why I have to always take the interstate if possible at 75 mph. Last year we went to califonication and to save time I drove to Flagstaff by myself and picked up my better half at the air port there. That saved her two days of vacation and 10 days later she had to fly home by herself from San Francisco as she had to be back at work. As for me, it was a very long drive back. That was NO fun at all, but there was no other way she could get out to the west coast as she had never been there. We did see some wonderful country though!
Me? Well I'm simi retired and if I don't have any major gigs then that's cool. Linda on the other hand has a very responsible position and she can only be gone at the most 12-13 days. So considering travel time (there and then back) we only have "X" amount of days to spend on the real part of the vacation. Plus that 12-13 days can't all be used. One needs at least two days off to decompress when they get home.

We do what we can to make it all work....after all, all my efforts are for her and she deserves the best because that is exactly what she is!
Tom
I don't know....if you can't take the time to do it right, maybe you should plan shorter distance trips. I'd rather cover a few less miles and be safe. I use Load Range "D" tires that are rated for 81 mph. Nice for those times when you have to hit 75 to pass a slow moving semi and be able to clear the passing lane. I usually set my cruise control at 68. Doing 75 instead of 68 would yield 42 miles in 6 hours. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Paul