View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
efelker

Default Re:Brake Away Switch

Agree with Bill. Let me add one other consideration. How would the breakway switch work if it breaks away only when the hitch disconnects but the chains stay hooked up? Once strain is put on the breakaway, it's coming apart -- how would it know or be routed so that it only breaks away when the chains fail.

So if you're going down the road at 55, the hitch comes undone, but the chains hold -- there are folks who think you'll come to a controlled stop stop using vehicle brakes and the brake controller. It's never happened to me (thank God) and I'm no volunteer for the experiment. But I know in addition to potential loss of the trailer and TV -- for sure I'll be replacing the driver's seat because the leather will be all crinkled from the stress of the pucker where I was sitting (if you get me drift). From my point of view, I want those trailer brakes on instantly as soon as that hitch comes undone because my brain is going to be far too busy for the multi-tasking that's about to occur to remember to manually set the brake controller while the chains are still attached.

EF