View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
WOW, Sounds like you are creating a lot more work for yourself than necessary. First I’d never take the shore power circuit out of the system. The inverter is not near as efficient and I don’t know of a charger that could even come close to keeping up with the amp drain a 2000w inverter could put on the batteries. At 1000w you’d be draining over 80 amps from the batteries, maybe ok to brew a pot of coffee or something but it would run your batteries down in a hurry if used all the time. Also, the inverter should be located as close to batteries as possible and even then I’d connect it to the batteries using #1 battery cables to carry the amps with out worrying about voltage drop. Then you could run the romex to the TM’s converter and use a DPDT switch to switch between shore power and inverter. I’m no expert in this area so this is just my way of thinking. I’m sure Bill or someone with more knowledge will jump in with better ideas.

Ed
A few extra pieces of data in response to your response.

The load of the inverter when on and with no AC load being driven is <800mA. I have a convenient remote power switch that can turn the the inverter off when AC power is not needed.

I am aware of inverter inefficiencies and am not humoring the hope that a converter would offset a 1000-2000w load.

I am using 4/0 AWG cables and the length will likely be in the 3 feet range once I trim to final dimension. The inverter location on the forward wall in the settees is the closest physical location to my tongue mounted batteries that I can muster short of mounting the inverter externally.

My desire to route the romex through a DPDT switch is precisely why the thread was launched. Romex routing is easy from the port side, a pain from the starboard side.