View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMFrugal
I use a 7.3 L diesel 2000 F250 and see no loss of fuel Milage while towing my TrailManor.
Thank for your response. It makes sense - a car so small that it has trouble hauling itself around will have a challenge when asked to haul something that weighs more or less the same as it does. On the other hand, a vehicle so big that it has enough reserve to haul a semi will see a much smaller challenge when asked to pull the same load. I am somewhere in the middle of that range. My F-150 5.0L gets about 15.5 mpg overall. When we hook up the TM, it drops to about 14.0-14.5 mpg. Both of these are long-term averages, over thousands of miles, and include both flatland and Rocky Mountain travel.

NatureBitz, your Highlander is somewhere toward the light end of this range. Your upright travel trailer weighs about the same as a TM, but presents a much bigger challenge compared to a TM because of the wind resistance of an upright trailer. You should expect better results with a TM. In the end, it is obviously a tradeoff between non-towing and towing mpg, and there are many factors other than mpg that will drive your choice. It is up to you to choose where you want to be.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote