View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Jeep Wrangler

There are a lot of things about towing that make for gray areas when we might like to see things in black or white. I don't know the Jeep or have any towing experience with it, but I would encourage a Jeep owner to do a search this forum and carefully read about the experiences of our members who have firsthand experience (my first pass produced some accounts that offer red flags to me).

I'm always up for an adventure. I grew up in Minnesota and I've often said that when the weather is so bad that only idiots are out there, you can have the road pretty much to yourself. But I wouldn't tow a TrailManor in snow except in an absolute emergency:
- The tow vehicle has anti-lock brakes which provide better braking and steering control than the trailer can.
- The trailer brakes can't do their fair share on the slippery surface. They will lock easily and therefore skid.
- The trailer's unstable extra braking load will be placed on the tow vehicle at the point of the hitch ball.
- An urgent need to stop becomes an opportunity to jackknife out of control. Your vehicle will become more stable once it's going backwards, if you're lucky enough to be still on the road.

Winter driving on clear days is not so bad, and cold weather may reduce the burden on hot transmissions. But the direction of travel is ideally South with a close eye on the weather, IMO.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote