View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 12:31 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Idea for Improving Weight on Tires

Quote:
I am currently considering purchasing a larger Trailmanor and have been concerned about the single axle on this size of trailer. Seems like the dual wheel idea would be a good one. J.C. Whitney has kits to adapt dual wheels to single wheel pickups. Not sure if they would work in a TM modification. I have not looked under a TM, but how difficult would it be to add a second axle and go to smaller tires such as 14 or 13? I currently have a 21' Towlite and it uses 13 and is 2900 empty.
We seem to be mixing discussion of dual wheels with dual axles. It seems to me that adding another axle (to get dual AXLES) would be hard to do for all the reasons stated. On the other hand, I would think that conversion to dual WHEELS (with the new wheel outboard of the original, like a dually pickup) ought to be easier. But I'm not sure it would accomplish what you want.

In the 2619, 2720 and (older) 3023 sizes, the weight limit is NOT determined by the tire rating. It is determined by the axle rating, which is LESS than the tire rating. A pair of 14" Goodyear Marathons is rated at 3740 pounds, but the axle is rated at only 3500 pounds. Adding extra wheels on this single axle won't prevent you from overloading the axle.

I am told that the new 3023 is equipped with 15" Goodyear Marathons, which have a higher weight rating. Just as important, these 15" tires are mounted on a heavier axle, which also has a higher weight rating. The combination is a nice one.

I love my 2720, but if I were buying it again, I would ask the factory if they could build it with the heavier axle and 15" wheels - and undoubtedly a lift kit, to provide clearance for the bigger tires.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote