View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
KdHammonds

Default Re: Idea for Improving Weight on Tires

I understand and appreciate the comments regarding the dual wheel concept. However, my original thoughts were that the dual wheels would stick out away from the trailer adding a wheel to the outboard side of the existing wheel. A fender could then be fabricated for the trailer similar to a dually pick-up truck. This may be an issue on the door side creating a small obstruction once set-up. As far as checking the tire pressure, valve extensions are made for this purpose so the interior tire pressure can be checked as easily as the outboard tire. As for changing a blowout, I don't think it would be significantly more difficult, and I think the potetntial for and frequency of blowouts would be significantly decreased. You would also have the added benefit of greater stability in the event of a blowout.

I realize this solution may not be perfect. However, the frequency of blowouts reported on this board as well as calculations showing the best tires are close to being at the maximum capacity, has lead me to conclude TM may have errored in the axle/tire design. I have not seen other trailers of this size and weight with single axles.

Even though I think this is a design issue, I believe the other benefits of the TM outweigh the negatives, and I hope to pick-up my TM in two weeks. I will immediately perform the wheel well modification.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is all just an idea at this point.