View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Short WB is marginal for mountain towing

I towed a 2720SL for two seaons with a Jeep Cherokee (4.0L I-6 with 190 hp) and a 100 in WB. I now tow this trailer with a Toyota Tundra (118 in WB, 240 HP/319 ft-lbs of torque, 3.91 gears).

All of my towing was in Colorado at high to very high altitude (5000 to 11,500 feet) and a lot of it was on twisting mountain roads.

The Jeep had marginally enough torque at moderate altitudes (below 7000 feet) but I had to run it at WOT (wide open throttle) almost all the time at high altitude and it was sorely pressed to do over 35 mph on the big, long grades (7%). Just not enough power.

Steep descents on tightly curving mountain roads were not confidence building...I was always very concerned that I just didn't have enough wheelbase for complete control of the trailer. Never lost control...just didn't feel that I had much margin of control.

As long as you stay out of the Rockies and the Sierras, the Explorer Sport is probably OK for a 2720SL but I wouldn't want to try to control a 3124KS on anything but straight, flat midwestern type roads.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote