View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Having recently had a problem with connections in the Bargman, I love this idea ! In fact, I had my checkbook out, ready order, until I read the description details and thought about what it meant.

Each half of this magnetic pair comes with a pigtail - a short length of 7 conductor cable with exposed ends. Apparently you are expected to cut off the plug and socket of the existing Bargman connector, expose the wires, and splice these exposed wires onto the wires of the new magnetic pigtails. But as soon as you cut the existing cables, you have violated the existing weatherproof integrity, and it is hard to get it back. That is a tough environment under the tow vehicle, and if water penetrates the splice, you have a bigger problem.

Beyond that, you no longer have a standard Bargman connector on your tow vehicle or on your trailer. If you want to tow a different trailer behind your tow vehicle, you are out of luck. You can't hook it up. And if you want to tow your TM behind a different tow vehicle, you are likewise out of luck.

Of course, you could splice each pigtail of the magnetic pair onto a standard Bargman connector, and plug he two Bargman pairs together permanently. Then you would use the magnetic pair for day-to-day operations. This would work, but still has the weatherproofing issue - now in two exposed locations. I'll have to think about it.

So, with a sigh of disappointment, I put my checkbook away. Maybe later.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote