View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne, I know we have discussed this before, but how do you feel about the fact that the trailer's tongue weight, applied behind the rear axle, unloads the front wheels? At what point does that become significant? In my opinion, that is the primary purpose of a WDH - to restore the proper weight on the front end (the steering and braking end) of the tow vehicle. There are any number of ways to remove the sag so that the headlights point in the right direction, and some of our members swear by air bags or helper shocks. But neither of those restore the proper loading of the front end.

I can't speak to "bounce", never having experienced it.

Bill
I have never weighed my truck without the TM attached, but when I did weigh it the weight on all three axles, TV front, TV rear and TM was pretty close to being the same. I do remember that the TM axle weight was 3380. The truck axles were between 3300 and 3399 as I recall.

There is no change to steering that I can detect as the driver.

There is no noticeable change to the aiming of the headlights, though obviously they are a little high. The headlights appear normal to me as the driver, and oncoming traffic has never flashed their headlights at me.

My truck is quite likely a little heavier than the average TV used with a TM and my wheelbase is also quite likely a little longer than the average TV used with a TM.

If I don't pay close attention to the speedometer I will hit speeds higher than 70 mph without even knowing it. So, in areas with low traffic, I just set the cruise control to 55 and let the computer maintain the speed.

I still believe that not all trucks will be helped with a WD hitch. Since the F150 has been reported as being helped with a WD hitch, and I am reporting that I don't see that it would change anything, my conclusion is that a 3/4 ton truck or larger appears to be the smallest truck that is above the boundary line of use or do not sue a WD hitch.

fwiw, the one time I made a near panic stop when towing the TM, I was surprised at how quickly it stopped and how straight it stopped. The impression I got was that I stopped in pretty much the same distance that I would have stopped if I were not towing.

We love our 1500HD, but may replace it next year with a 2500HD, so we can get an 8 foot bed instead of the 6.5 foot bed. I need more room to haul more stuff.

Now, if I ever have to make a panic stop, when towing downhill, in an off camber turn, then I might reach a different conclusion. But as long as I continue to not encounter that situation I have great confidence in what I am driving.