View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
mike-rm-cd

Tracey: Welcome to the fun new world of TrailManors. We started (a year ago) with a used 2002 2720SD. Towed it to Arizona and back without a WDH. Towed just fine. Then I talked to my tire/brakes/hitch guy, and he convinced me to try a $400 Reese WDH (550 # spring bars). This set-up made the TM tow much better than the previous "just fine."

In July, we traded up to a 3326. Used the same WDH (550# bars), and it tows very nicely and sits level. TV is '05 Toyota Tundra, short bed, nothing fancy. The dealer "insisted" I needed 750# bars, so I borrowed two from my tire guy, and tried them on a couple of trips. Everything is just as level, but there is no "give," or flex when I use them.

So I gave them back, and use the 550# bars, and it's a happy camper. The dual axles may also help, in my case. I weighed the TM recently - 4600 lbs.

I think experimenting and trying both with and without makes good sense. Another data point - when we towed the 2720SD without using the WDH, the TM trailer hitch would tend to "scrape" a low point in a driveway, say to a gas station.

Also, it's another story for another time - but when you first start forward (say from the gas pumps on the left side) go forward far enough (use your mirrors) to make sure you don't bump something (like the steel protective bars near the gas pumps). Or, the TM doesn't always turn like you assumed!! Mike