View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There was a L-O-N-G thread on this topic a couple years ago, from someone getting panicky about burned legs. I can't find it at the moment, but I'll post if I do. At any rate, the conclusion was that the furnace puts out a lot of heat, but it also blows a lot of air, so the temp of the air is warm - no one gets burned. As was pointed out above, that flow of warm air is welcome on a cool night. No one gets burned.

The question about moving air to the rear bed is harder to address if you are dry camping and a fan is not an option. The cold-feet answers include preventing infiltration of cold air (many threads on this), adding an extra blanket over your feet, or using (dare I say it?) a hot water bottle. But those of us who have winter-camped do not consider this to be a "deal-breaker".

It is certainly possible to break into a propane line to connect a cat heater, although you have to be sure you understand the difference between high-pressure propane (right out of the bottle) and low-pressure propane (after the regulator). I'm not sure which is required by the Buddy Heater.

YMMV, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote