Thread: TM vs Hi-Lo ??
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #3
BobRederick

Bob C

Your story sounds like mine at the time I purchased my TM. (Sept/Oct '04).

I really drooled over a 2nd hand like-new Hi-Lo that was the first camper I found close to what I wanted. They do look like a nice camper and I found one with a factory installed generator on it. My wife would have done well with the walk-around bed. As I recall, there are some wall cabinets along the cielilng?? The TM has that on one end.

Leon mentioned the weight. By the time I understood weight, I could only purchase a 24' Hi-Lo and that probably was over my limit as it took me a while to understand that things packed into the TV subtracted from the towing capacity. Understand also that when the Hi-Lo opens, it goes straight up while the TM gets both higher and longer. So I am pulling a 33 foot camper with towing margin where I would be maxed out with a 24 foot Hi-Lo.

One more thing and this is an odd one. The Hi-Los had an odor in them that I found bothersome. I identified it as that of epoxy curing. The new ones had such a strong odor that it hurt my eyes. I actually like the smell of my 2 yr old TM -- I have not identified what that is, but it is not epoxy curing.

I suppose you are aware that all campers are compromises. None will be like your house. Screws will loosen on all of them. Tires will always be a worry.

It's a tough call, but I am really happy with my choice. By the way, a large percentage of TM owners came up from pop ups, so you will be in familiar company with either. I went to Tucson and spent about 8 hours inside one, pretending it was mine. I set it up and down a couple of times. Read the owners manual, asked questions, and looked at several different models.

I hope this helps.