View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Grouse

Default buying a used TM

TM owners can give you specific points to look for, and a search of the posts will no doubt give you a list of things to check.

You're probably experienced at buying a used car/truck, and the basic process is the same. After the intitial wow factor (you know, it just looks so beautiful), after you have taken it down & set it up, ask to look at it unsupervised. This is the time you want to note what you don't like and what appears to be wrong. Now is the time for a critical look. You'll have time later to think it over and decide what to do. You may buy things differently than I do but try to avoid the impulse purchase.

And like any RV, make sure the tires aren't checked or cracking, check the spare if there is one, check the appliances to be certain they work. If possible run the water from each faucet. (the trailer we looked at prior to the one I currently have had this bloody awful smell when running the hot water. I decided that the smell may never come out and passed on an otherwise really nice looking rig).

We recently saw a 1991 TM26 (I think that's the right model) and this unit was clearly abused, not used. No pride of ownership was evident from the previous owners.

You might try a search for "whats wrong with a TM" or "buying a TM" or whatever topic you can dream up. There's a wealth of knowledge in past posts, just used the Search on the top tool bar.

Good luck!