View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Caravan is iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestDave
I was wondering if any TM owners use a Dodge Grandcaravan 3.8 l for a TV.
My question is if the tow package that came with vehicle includes a transmission cooler? The information says transaxle cooler. Are they one an the same. GW and I are excited, we drove 4 hours to see our first TM and was really impressed. This site is also AWsum! We have put a deposit on a new 2006, 2720 with many bells and whisles! Can't wait!
Do a search on "grand caravan" (include the quotes)...you'll find lots to read. Your vehicle's "transaxle cooler" may not be enough...a secondary cooler may be needed.

You have a very marginal-for-towing 3800 lb "tow capacity"...that means you better plan to load both van and trailer very, very lightly. Especially if you're getting a trailer with lots of "bells and whistles"...those options will substantially add (like 500 or more lbs) to the "dry weight" or "empty weight" listed on TM's website.

As long as you only tow on the flat, low altitude roads of the midwest you'll probably do OK. But any mountain towing...either in the Appalachians or "out west" in the Rockies or Sierra will make your Dodge work very, very hard and will dramatically shorten its lifespan.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote