View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The boat, motor, and bikes are your biggest challenge. I don't think that you will get these inside the TM, on top, or on the rear bumper. These really belong in/on the tow vehicle. The grill is next on the list. You may be able to carry it in the TM, but it would be better not to do so, considering all the other stuff you want to carry.

The fact that you have an Excursion will probably be your saving grace. I say probably because many of these big vehicles - Excursion, Suburban, Yukon, Aviator, etc - are available in lightweight models that really aren't adequate for your task. But if you have a V-10, you probably don't have one of these.

As I mentioned, all of the stuff above can probably be carried in or on the tow vehicle. That will leave a more reasonable list for the TM - and you still have a pretty hefty list. You need to realize that there isn't a lot of floor space in the TM when it is folded down into the towing configuration. The hallway in front of the rear bed is consumed by the wardrobe. The space between the oven and refrig is open, and there is some floor space forward of that. A cooler, maybe the grill, and a couple boxes of overflow stuff will consume that. You can't load anything tall, of course, becuase the roof comes down so low. And even if there were more space, you will find that you will easily bump up against the weight limit for the TM, and need to pare weight. For example, most folks travel with no water in the tanks, and fill up at the destination. Or carry 7-gallon jugs of water in the tow vehicle.

You really need to see one. And you should use the search tool on the term "weight". You will find lots of discussion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote