View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
I think that your questions were just directed at the traditional TrailManor. If you are serious about snowbirding and still want something that is easy to tow & get good gas mileage, I would seriously look at the Elkmont TrailManors. They are built just like the regular TrailManors, and if you look at the weights for both units, you will be surprised that there isn't much difference.

Having owned 3 TrailManors since 1992, we bought the Elkmont 26 in May, and we just love it. It doesn't have all of the counter space as our 3326King had, but the Elkmont has a lot of other positive points over the 3326King. I get about 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon less pulling the Elkmont, but it tows just as well as the 3326King. It's nice to have a lot more storage space, huge 6 cubic foot refrig, large screen door, and no more opening and closing it. It's real nice to stop at a rest area, and just unlock the door, and get something out of the refrig or just use the toilet instead of the public restrooms which can be pretty nasty sometimes.

Please don't think that I am knocking the traditional TrailManor. We would not have bought 3 of them over the years if we didn't think that they were a great unit. But now at our stage in life, the Elkmont fits our needs better. That is why TrailManor builds different models of the traditional TrailManor as well as 3 different size Elkmonts plus different floor plans for the 24 foot size one.

Another thing that you did not mention was if price of the new TrailManors was a big issue. If it is, you will find that the Elkmont will cost a lot less than the traditional TrailManor. If we had bought a new 3326King, the retail would have been at least $41 to $42,000.00. Our Elkmont 26 retailed for $35,000.00 fully loaded. Big difference in price. Of course we bought it out right & we were able to get a huge amount off the suggested retail.

So, take a look at the Elkmonts if you are seriously looking at buying a TrailManor of some kind.
Hi Bob.
I currently have a '10 2720SD TM that we ordered/bought at a trailer show in 09. We had thought that we were getting an 09 but when it came in it was the 1st 2010 off the line. We had ordered this with a cross country trip in mind. We took our cross country trip and was on the road for 2 1/2 months, leaving from New England and headed south then across to Los Angles, on to route 66, across to Chicago and then home. Put on some 8K miles and stopped at 29 campgrounds plus a few that were not campgrounds.

All this said and done being in our late 6o's, we were getting very tired of set up and take down of the TM, along with the fact that it is not very tight when it comes to keep out bugs. Did not have any trouble towing it behind a Honda Ridgeline, which has a tow rate of 5K lbs, and had no sway problems when passing or being passed by trucks.

We are now thinking of upgrading to the Elkmont and are looking for anyone who owns one and had traded in the traditional TrailManor for their opinions on the Elkmont. Would like to hear your feelings as to workmanship, storage, handling on road, tightness of the unit (bug problem), and are there any electrical outlets on both sides of the bed, as we need to connect medical equipment up at night, comfort and ease of set up once you get to a campground.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote