View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
grakin

I tow with a 3/4 ton "heavy duty" pickup. The one time I had the TM behind me without brakes, it significantly increased my stopping distance - maybe by 50% or so. Easily enough to end up smashed into someone.

And that's a big, heavy vehicle with about a truck bed carrying capacity of somewhere around 2,000 - so it has pretty good sized brakes.

It's illegal to tow without brakes (for the TM, in most states). Even more importantly it could kill you.

Here's what you need to ask an RV dealer for, at a minimum, for brakes:

To get the brakes back to the trailer, you need a "brake controller". It should cost about $100 in parts and probably about the same in labor for someone who is good at the job. Insist on a "Prodigy" controller as sometimes dealers will try to skimp and put a garbage one in there (it's not worth it for the very tiny difference in cost - do it right). You don't need any relays for the brake controller. You will also need a "7 pin" plug. Since the plug is going in anyhow, they might as well wire in the reverse lights and a wire from your battery for charging the trailer (it's nice to be able to keep your fridge cool on the road, plus it is a safety concern - the trailer's break-away brake system needs a charged trailer battery).

I'd also recommend having the dealer look over your entire rig - just to make sure you don't destroy your vehicle by towing with it. I would not trust the opinion of a dealer trying to sell you a trailer on this, nor would I trust a U-Haul dealer - go to an actual RV dealer that isn't selling you something. You likely will need at the least a "Weight Distributing" hitch which will set you back a few hundred dollars. This is also a safety item if your vehicle needs it - the TM has a very heavy tongue weight for a trailer its' size.