View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
PopBeavers

I think California is a long way from you.

If our son (26), his bride (27) and our daughter (29) go with us, we take two trucks. One tows the TM and the other carries 3 motorcycles and tows an ATV trailer with 2 ATVs on it.

When it is just the two of us, I want to be able to put one ATV in the bed of the truck and then still take my motorcycle. My son and I can load the motorcycle alongside the ATV in the truck, but I can not do that alone. Thus my interest in the carrier.

We added the 2500HD long bed, because the 2 seater ATV is too long to fit in the 1500HD truck with the 6.5 foot bed and still tow the TM.

The hitch system I pointed out is designed to tow a 7,000 pound ski boat behind a truck and camper, where the camper sticks out 4 feet behind the rear bumper of the truck. I only need about 2 feet to carry the motorcycle. I contacted the factory regarding using it on the 1500HD and they advised against it because the 1500HD does not have a strong enough frame. You need a 2500 to use a long extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I have been looking at the receiver hitch carriers for my Kawasaki dual-sport. I studied the Versa-haul one below, which would also allow you to hook a trailer to it. The literature for it says it can only pull 3,000 lbs.

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

I believe you would need a minimum of a class IV receiver (which I do have) on your tow vehicle or one like PopBeavers posted, to even safely consider the combination weight of the bike and the Tmanor's tongue hooked up to it, if anyone went with a rear type receiver like this because of the downsides of having a front mounted one.

They may build other receiver type hitches that have more towing capacity that you could check into.

In the end, I just decided it wasn't worth the risk of possibly losing my bike and/or trailer, if it broke. Bought a pair of aluminum ramps instead, and just load the bike in the bed of the truck.

Hey PopBeavers, we got to meet up some time and ride/camp together, now that I know you also have a dual-sport.