Thread: returned check
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
PopBeavers

I am reasonably knowledgeable about how the web works. I have been programming since 1974. At one time I worked on a team that implemented an HTTP server for a main frame. I have used sniffers so I know what they can do.

It just seems to be too much of a coincidence that I make one purchase (buy it now) from eBay using PayPal and within days it becomes my number one source of spam. Been that way since 2005. It was my Valley Industries Odyssey brake controller that I purchased.

If the vendor and PayPal and eBay did not contribute to it, then at least one of them failed to protect their (my) data adequately. It is clear from the contents of the email that they were aware of transaction dates and a couple of other details.

I have made online purchases from any number of companies, using my credit card directly with them, and have never had this problem. In my experience, this is isolated to eBay, PayPal and the one business back east. Amazon, Borders, recreation.gov, Hertz, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, etc. have never been a problem for me.