View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Off and on I have thought about how to put a canoe on top of the TM.

I was thinking of constructing a frame out of light weight tubing. It would attach at 3 points. Two at the front onto the frame/tongue close to the front shell. The rear would be a single support on the rear hitch receiver. The rear hitch receiver is rated for 100 pounds. I'm sure the tongue could handle more than that.

This configuration would likely want to sway from side to side as there would not be very much width to the mount points. Straps going over the side down to the frame should take care of that.

This would allow carrying a canoe over the roof without touching the roof. Assuming that the weight ended up evenly distributed between front and rear then it would be limited to 200 pounds of canoe plus the weight of the frame.

I haven't considered the issue of the a/c being in the way, but a canoe might be wide enough to straddle it if it was upside down.

Since I have never owned a canoe this is just some random thoughts that I have had. My TV is a crew cab truck, so I could also easily put a canoe on lumber racks on the TV.

Someone in the last 2 years has posted a thread about putting their 3 wheel bicycle on top of the TM. You might search for that thread.