View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn1ghtus View Post
Unfortunately the 2013 Santa Fe's have JUST come out and I'm having a hard time getting my hands on a manual so why the 2012's could only tow 3500 pounds and this can tow 5000 I'm not sure why.

I hope everyone knows I'm not taking anything personal and I apologize if I seem defensive. I'd hate to buy a 35,000 dollar TV and have it not do the job comfortably. Maybe we should get a smaller TM then?

Id' love to hear what other people's 2720 actually weighs.
No need to apologize. The opinions expressed here can be very strong, and IMHO, for the most part, informative and detailed. Towing specifications, ratings, comfort level with tow weight can get heated with opinions. Overall, take it all in, do your research as your doing now, get some advice from experts and pros, and have fun. Don't over do it and you'll be ok.

There have been a lot of prospective owners that have asked about towing a 2720 with a tow rating of only 3500 lbs. Those threads are numerous and can be a little scary regarding safety. With your 5000lb rating, Its a little different. The TM empty as in dry weight is misleading. if you took everything out of it, it may weigh less than 3k lbs. But with the extras that are standard items, add in 1000lbs from the factory weight. With a true 5k tow capacity you should be ok. The problems begin when you tow 3500 with a vehicle that max's at 3500. That weight will push you down the road... Yes, they have brakes, but the enertia will cause lots of problems if a panic stop is necessary.

I would be trying to locate the GCVW, that is the combined weight for tow vehicle and tow capactity. That is tow vehicle weight, passengers, cargo, true trailer weight with cargo, and any added weight for water, sewer, propane, etc. It would have to be close to 11k lbs.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote